• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

For those familiar with Chinese medicine, Tai Chi, Quigong, etc.

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
During my recent attempts at self-healing using a certain medium I've talked about so much on BL that I'll spare you its name, I have found myself conceptualizing a "cold current" and a "warm current" flowing through my body. I have noticed that an excess of cold creates pain, anxiety, depression, fear, and hatred, and that the ability to channel the "warm current" throughout the body tends to neutralize the cold to create a sense of balance and contentment.

Of course, the "body" I refer to may simply be my conceptualization of changes within my mind/nervous system, but really, does it make any difference?

Now, for some reason unknown to me, I've always been indifferent to everything Chinese - the culture just doesn't "ring" with me. But I am familiar that the above language is not unusual in Chinese teachings on well-being.

I am wondering if anyone familiar with any chinese systems could comment on the above?

On my part I have a book on Quigong and two by Mantak Chia, who seems to be some sort of authority on the subject (I don't know?). I will try reading through them despite the curious, unexplainable repulsion I have toward them...

Thanks in advance :).

Tai Chi makes me more flexible and can be calming but that's about it for me.

I don't know anything about how the Chinese might view it in medicine like acupuncture, philosophies, or teachings on well being.

I've taken some yoga and meditation classes and what you're describing reminds me of that. I have friends who are Chiropractors and into Ayurvedic medicine and it also reminds me of that stuff.

I'm not at home til next Tuesday. Then I will have access to my TCM books. My recollection is that cold within an area of the body is usually under activity. Heat is usually pus, redness and inflammation. Herbs, plants, and foods have descriptions of being warming or cooling. I think I'm mixed up on a lot of things atm because I'm not recalling a difference between stagnation and cold even though I know there is a difference.

To make it all the more confusing there are the five elements to throw into this mix. If I find a particularly lucid summary of these things I'll post a link. I badly need a refresher on the basics of TCM. Akido folks in my experience are very interested in utilizing chi in a hands on way in case you happen to pass a akido dojo somewhere along the way.

^ Ah, but see I am not referring to pockets of cold and heat - but rather "currents" that feel like they are flowing up and down the body. Interestingly, having started reading the Taoist healing book, the author describes a "microcosmic orbit" of the two major miridians - one that is hot and goes up the spine and down to the palate, and one that is cold and goes up via the navel, chest, and throat and up the tongue, where it meets with the other to complete a "circuit". I'ts making a lot of sense already :).

I seriosly recommend you to find a master on a Quigong. You will progress much more faster.
I remember I was maing my first visits to class while kicking codeine - and it helped tremendously. Also in this summer after amp binges i was making all exercises in the morning and feel alot of energy.
It looks that right practice make you energy flow work better.
Shame I don't practice now :(

I've practiced Tai Chi. It's good exercise in conjunction with meditation, similar to yoga only with emphasis on movement and breathing instead of stretching and breathing. I recommend it to promote good physical and mental health.

Hi mate, how long have you been practicing qigong for if you dont mind me asking?

You will often have a lot of weird feelings/sensations at the beginning. This is normally a sign of progress though and should soon subside. You should be trying not to think of anything when you practice (easier said than done!) as conscious thought impedes the flow of energy. This shouldnt really matter too much at the beginning though. Can I ask what type of qigong you are practicing? ie moving, standing or sitting?.

Also, as tamtoot says, you should really try to find someone in your area who teaches it. You will be amazed at how much more you will get from it, its also very important to get the basic principles and posture right too. Anyway, dont be put off by anything I've said, if you stick at it you will be in for an amazing journey.